The Isla de Ratas or Isla de la Libertad (Rat Island or Liberty Island) is an islet of stones about 100 meters by 50 meters in a very low area of the center of the Montevideo bay where you can hardly navigate. It is also called Isla Libertad since 1843, when during the Great War, the squad led by Admiral Guillermo Brown, who supported Manuel Oribe, was rejected from there by the British squad under the command of Commodore John Brett Purvis who had to cover the landing of Uruguayan sailors led by Giuseppe Garibaldi. In different historical stages it received the names of: Guerrilla Island, Gaviotas Island, French Island, Rabbit Island and Palomas Island.1 In the course of the 19th century, the island was leased to the British Naval Station Surta on the Río de la Plata, and was also used as a place of isolation for quarantined crews and passengers.
In 1931, a hangar and a seaplane ramp were built on the island, and it came under the responsibility of the Uruguayan Navy as a naval air base, inaugurated on February 21, 1933. In 1938, electricity and telephone cables were laid between the mainland and the island. The Navy used the base until 1950, when it left the facilities to move to the new air-naval base in Laguna del Sauce . After the withdrawal of the Navy, the base of the island was converted into a port warehouse.
Geological, the island shows massive belts of quartz in the rock mixture.
Quartz is piezoelectric, that means on mechanical pressure it produces electricity. The mineral acts like a natural microphone detecting vibration energy.
One could speculate, what the mineral body of the island witnessed sonicly, without a human or any other form of being listening…